Is it ok to have similar content on my personal and business website?

Is it ok to have similar content on my personal and business website? - Google Search Console is a free application that allows you to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve any issues that Google may encounter as it crawls and attempts to index your website in search results. If you’re not the most technical person in the world, some of the errors you’re likely to encounter there may leave you scratching your head. We wanted to make it a bit easier, so we put together this handy set of tips about seo, google-search, schema.org, personal-website to guide you along the way. Read the discuss below, we share some tips to fix the issue about Is it ok to have similar content on my personal and business website?.Problem :


I have a personal site that has a totally different blogging audience than my business website; however, some content (like my About page) is almost exactly the same on both websites. Would I incur any type of penalties from search engines for having duplicate content if both sites have a link to each other?


Solution :

As John Pointed out, the best way to intimate Google about duplicate content would be via a canonical tag. If not done, I am not sure if there will be a penalty but Google will certainly prefer one of the pages over the other.


In case you prefer the page from the business website to be picked by search engines, your canonical should be present on the personal website's page and should look like this


<link rel="canonical" href="<your business website's about page url>" />

A suggestion: If I were in your position, I will do this - I will elaborate on my business on the business about page with a little introduction about myself. I will place a link to my personal about page from there. Similarly, on the personal website's about page, I will elaborate on my career, track record, achievements, etc., with a brief introduction to my business. I will place a link to my business about page from there. By doing this I would have improved the content quality, relevance, and uniqueness of both pages. Plus I would have eliminated the need to place a canonical.



Don't copy paste or duplicate the content. There are only two methods to get rid of Google penalty.



  1. Either add Canonical tag on website

  2. Add Unique content on site


If the issue about seo, google-search, schema.org, personal-website is resolved, there’s a good chance that your content will get indexed and you’ll start to show up in Google search results. This means a greater chance to drive organic search traffic to your site.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it possible to outrank Google for a search term on their own search engine?

Removing a Website Name in Another Website From Google Index

Do search engines index a rich snippet data from HTML which is not visible?